Logan and I packed up all our stuff and headed for D.C. for the summer. Our car was packed and we were excited to be getting away for the summer. It took us four days with 8 hours a day to get there. Our first day included a drive through the Rocky Mountains and southern Utah-I don't think there is a more beautiful part of the country. After getting through all that including 11,000 feet (elevation) of mountains we stopped in Denver, Colorado for the night. Here are a few pics from Denver.
Logan with the capital building
I thought this piece of art was really cool, we found it while we were walking through downtown Denver
The next day we drove through the entire state of Kansas-seriously the longest state in the country! It was such a change from Utah and Colorado, no mountains-literally green plains the entire way and completely flat ground. Then just on the other side of the border we stayed in Independence, Missouri.
Kansas City, Missouri
This is the crazy Community of Christ Temple in Independence, Missouri. Right across the street is a LDS Visitor's Center. We drove all around this area and there is literally EVERY single type of church-Presbyterian, Catholic, LDS, Methodist, Community of Christ, baptist, and Mennonite...plus some more I can't remember. Very interesting.
The next day we drove through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and stayed in Columbus Ohio.
We stopped here during the drive to see the arch.
Sadly I have a water spot on my head.
Just getting to Ohio.
Well after the third day I took too many pictures and played with the camera too much so my camera was dead. On the fourth day we drove through the rest of Ohio, Pennsylvania, part of Virginia and finally into Maryland. We took a small detour up to Pittsburgh because we figured this would be our only chance to go there. It was incredible, you enter the city through a tunnel and boom there's the city. We ate at a restaurant that was on Diner's, Drive-In's and Dive's then made our way out of the other side of the city. You leave again through a tunnel and once you get to the other side of the mountain you can't see the city behind you at all. It's like a hidden city behind two mountains and surrounded by water, pretty cool. Finally we got back on the main road and got to College Park, Maryland in the early evening on Saturday. We unpacked our car and started setting things up. Logan started work on Monday and had a pretty miserable day...mostly because it was raining and had been for a week straight. The next few days we figured out that this wasn't the right thing for us. Logan wasn't feeling good about his decision and we started thinking about going home.
So we spent Friday morning at the DC temple and felt good about our decision to go home. The temple always just gives you such a peaceful feeling when you are looking for answers. After making that decision we decided to spend the day in downtown DC to see the things we hadn't seen on other trips there.
National Air and Space Museum
The REAL Wright Brothers Plane
We had a pretty cool experience at this museum but we couldn't take pics inside.
Museum of Natural History-big Grizzly Bear
Watch out Logan!
The next day, Saturday, we packed up everything that had yes all been put away in the right cupboards and neatly organized. We still felt good about our decision so I wasn't mad that I had to pack it all up, actually it hardly took any time so we got through it real quick. Packed up our little car again and got one last night's rest in our beautiful apartment. This trip was a bit longer. Maryland to California...wooooowwww, never again will I do that drive. We wanted to get home quick so we did an average of 14 hours a day for three days. I have never been so tired of driving in my life! That's seven days of nothing but driving within a week and a half.
Our first day we got through Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, part of Illinois and stayed the night in St. Louis, Missouri.
Here's Kentucky!
The second day we got through Missouri, Oklahoma, top of Texas and half of New Mexico where we stayed in Albuquerque.
Welcome to Texas-I didn't get any pics of Oklahoma-in fact Logan hated this state...he said everyone there was rude :) I personally don't think we talked to enough people, sorry Log!
New Mexico
Finally our last day we made it through the other half of New Mexico, all of Arizona and through California to Lake Arrowhead.
We are here in Lake Arrowhead and feel it was a good decision. We have the opportunity to work for my brother Ryan with his new business and also for my dad here and there. It's nice to be closer to family and not on the East Coast. Don't get me wrong the East Coast is gorgeous, we loved every moment of it, but this is right for us at this time.
In a couple weeks we get to go to my cousin Jeremy's wedding and we're quite excited about it. I'll post some more pictures once we do some other things.
Coast to coast to coast...done!
3 comments:
Wow talk about a cross country road trip!! But good for you guys to come home if you felt it was the right decision!!
Wow that's amazing! You have to do what's right for you though. I flew to Paris for a 3 month study abroad and came home a week later because I knew I wasn't supposed to stay. If I would have stayed I might not have married J so it just goes to show you have to follow your gut! I'm glad you two are back in Cali for the summer!
Sound like at least you guys had a good trip and got to see a lot of things. It's always nice to be close to family. Tell Logan heppy birthday for me I forgot to text him but hope that he got the card.
Post a Comment