Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 11: Napolitana Pizza & farmer's market

My dad wanted to find us the most authentic Italian pizza in Rome (Rome isn't really known for their pizza, but Napoli is). He talked to some Italian's on the temple site and found out where we could get Napolitana pizza in Rome. I can't remember the name of the restaurant but we had a wonderful evening there. Michele, from the temple site, eats at this restaurant a couple times a week with his wife so he wanted to meet us there for dinner. Before we came he had told the owner that some American's would be coming in and they can't wait to have real pizza. So when we got there my dad started talking to our server, who happened to be the owner, and told him we were from America. The owner got all excited "ohh the American's, yes yes!" Thank goodness my dad speaks Italian, we were way out of the city where no one speaks a bit of English. 
Next thing we know we have drinks, an appetizer and our pizza was in the brick oven. The appetizer was so delicious, it was kindof like a scone (fry bread) with a little marinara sauce and some fresh grated parmesan cheese. Logan LOVED it.

While we were finishing those up Michele and his wife showed up and pulled a table up right next to ours. It was clear they went there a lot because the owner and his wife came up to them and kissed and hugged them. The atmosphere of the restaurant was so great, it felt like everyone was family. Awhile later our pizzas came out and boy oh boy they were amazing. If you like Italian style pizza, this was the ultimate and the best I've ever had. I was in heaven.

We stayed for nearly 3 hours just enjoying the authentic feel of the restaurant and all the people there. Italians, well everyone besides the US really, eat dinner much later than we do so we didn't get out of there til 9:30 or later and we got there at 6:45. Before we left the owner and his wife came over to see how we liked it. The wife spoke a little English and was beyond jealous that we were from California. She said if we gave her a room to stay in she'd cook all day for us, I think that's a fair trade :). Michele and his wife invited us over to their house afterward so we got home pretty late. But this ended up being one of our favorite nights, we got a true taste of Italian life.

Back tracking...earlier in the day we went to the farmer's market. There is nothing even close to this in America, it was so fun. You walk into a huge warehouse type thing and right at the front are about 15 different produce stands. Each one selling almost the same produce with competing prices. Each stand has fresh fruits & vegetables picked that morning. I couldn't believe the size of all the produce and some things I've never seen before.
It may not look big, but seriously this bell pepper was huugggeee!




Then we walked a little farther and there were all kinds of different stands. Some with every nut you can imagine, some with all kinds of mushrooms, all kinds of breads and so much more.
Then you get to the seafood section and boy can you smell it strong. I couldn't even go close I started gagging! Logan and my dad got up close to see it all- oysters, squid, octopus, giant tuna, shrimp, crab and almost any other kind of seafood you can think of.
I wish the US had something like this. It was quite an experience!


2 comments:

lorena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lorena said...

I have to go to this market!!